The Green River through Desolation Canyon is a perfect training ground for a whitewater kayaking workshop. The canyon offers plenty of slow-moving water where you can practice the basics, and more than 60 fun, low-consequence rapids where you can put your new skills to the test! Holiday has teamed up with Andy Thunell and his Rapid Progression Kayak School to put together a fully supported, six-day whitewater kayaking workshop.
If you’re looking for a more active vacation or want to get up close and personal with the Green River in one of the most spectacular wilderness canyons in the West, this is the trip for you. Professional kayaking instructors provide the instruction and all the kayaking equipment. Furthermore, Holiday guides manage logistics, provide kayak support, and prepare gourmet meals while you practice paddling, rolling, and running rapids. Our six-day itinerary allows time to hike side canyons, explore cultural sites, and simply relax on the beaches or among the shady cottonwood trees.
Prior kayaking experience is not necessary but a kayak swimming pool class is suggested to help ease your learning on the river. These classes can be found at most colleges and universities. You should be in excellent physical condition and comfortable around water. Get hands-on with your river trip!
Additional Things to Bring for the Green River Kayak Workshop:
- Extra sunscreen (we recommend waterproof!)
- Visor or billed hat to fit under the helmet
- Sunglasses, with Chums or Croakies to hold them
- Nose plugs (for when you learn to roll)
- Paddling jacket or splash jacket
- Wool sweater or other warm layers
- Wetsuit booties/tennis shoes (a must while in the kayak)
- Neoprene gloves (protect hands from cold and/or blisters)
- Wetsuit (“Farmer John” style recommended)
- Small waterproof pouch (to keep goodies close at hand in your kayak during the day)
Got some extra time in town? Check out our favorite spots! Green River, Utah: Things to Do and Places to Explore