Mountain Bike & Whitewater Rafting Gear Combo Clothing Checklist
PROVIDED BY HOLIDAY RIVER EXPEDITIONS
- LIFE JACKET
- EATING UTENSILS, PLATES & CAMP CHAIR
- LARGE WATERPROOF BAG
- FULL COURSE MEALS lunch the first day through lunch the last day
- DAY BAG
- DRINKS ice water, gatorade, lemonade, juices, 1 pops/person/day-mix of reg. & diet
- BIKE REPAIR KIT ample for common road repair on standard mountain bikes. If your bike has nonstandard components, come prepared.
Please remember to keep your gear light and compact. The less you bring, the happier you will be. Please limit gear to no more than 15-20 lbs.
GEAR YOU MUST BRING OR RENT FROM HOLIDAY
- CUP plastic mugs work well
- PONCHO/RAIN SUIT high quality important
- SLEEPING BAG compact and warm
- SLEEPING PAD Compact, must fit in the bag described above.
- LIGHT TENT backpacker style, not the bulky, heavy types.
- BIKE must be in good repair.
You can rent most of the items listed above in our Rental Sleeping Kit. We offer two varieties, our basic sleeping kit which includes a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, small pillow, rain gear and cup for $40.00, or the same basic sleeping kit with a two-man tent for $65.00. Rentals must be reserved in advance. Water bottles & Mugs are available for purchase in our store. Water bottles are not included in the rental kits.
Holiday rental bike with helmet is available $170.00/bike; if personal bike fails to meet minimum safety standards you will be asked to rent a Holiday bike. Holiday rental bikes come with platform pedals only. If you have clipless shoes you MUST bring your own pedals.
RECOMMENDED CLOTHING & GEAR
- SWIMMING SUITS
- SHIRT (S) short-sleeved, cotton, bike jerseys; i.e. T-shirts
- SHORTS quick drying
- SHIRT (S) long-sleeved, quick dry for sun protection
- LONG PANTS quick drying
- SHOES keep dry for camp/hiking/biking, i.e. durable sneakers or light weight hiking boots
- HAT for sun protection, with strap
- SHOES to get wet while rafting, i.e. water sport shoes or sneakers
- SUN GLASSES with safety strap
- SOCKS several pair, 1 cotton, 2 polypropylene or wool
- SUNSCREEN SPF 15 or higher
- JACKET fleece or pile with wind/rain resistant shell
- CHAPSTICK with sunscreen
- LONG UNDERWEAR (optional) med. weight polypropylene/synthetic type.
- HAND LOTION non-fragrant
- BIODEGRADABLE SOAP available at outdoor specialty stores, or ivory soap
- INSECT REPELLENT Deet concentrate in small bottles works best
- COMB or BRUSH
- TAMPONS/ZIPLOCK BAGS 1 bag per day
- MEDICATION Aspirin/IBUProfen/Tylenol and personal prescriptions
- TRAVEL TOWEL dries quick
- FLASHLIGHT or HEADLAMP small with extra batteries & red-light setting
- KLEENEX small travel pack
- STUFF SACK to keep wet/dry clothes separated, i.e. pillow case or plastic bag
- SARONG (optional)
- FANNY PACK for hiking
- CAMERA (at your own risk), extra memory cards (or film), batteries, and waterproof container
- EXTRA BEVERAGES/SNACKS (optional) NO GLASS PLEASE, liquor, boxed wine/canned-beer/specialty pops/juice/high energy foods
- BINOCULARS (optional, at your own risk)
- GROUND CLOTH (optional) for sleeping under the stars
Things not to bring on your trip - glass-bottled beverages, radios, firearms, pets, and large amounts of cash beyond what you’ll want for your guide’s gratuity. Do not bring expensive jewelry, watches or electronics i.e. cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc. Warning: In the event of a loss regardless of fault our insurance will not cover these expensive items. **If you do decide to bring any of these items along with you to the meeting point for your trip, the most secure location to leave them behind would be at your hotel in their safe or locked up in the trunk of your vehicle. As a last resort we have a non-secure location at our headquarters, but we cannot assume responsibility for these items.
EARLY OR LATE SEASONS SUPPLEMENTS (May, June and Sept. on all trips.)
- STOCKING CAP smartwool/synthetic
- PILE OUTERWEAR in addition to a quality jacket, synthetic pile pants
- GLOVES lightweight/synthetic
- LONG UNDERWEAR medium weight smartwool/synthetic type
- RIDING TIGHTS cold weather riding
There is a greater chance of inclement weather on these trips which otherwise offer many advantages to the well-prepared river traveler. Smartwool, fleece, pile, capeline, etc. are a few examples of trade names for a class of synthetic materials that retain their ability to insulate when wet (please note, cotton does not). Your comfort on the trip starts with finding the right type of synthetic under and outer-wear and quality rain gear. We recommend Backcountry.com for your additional river trip needs. They offer a wide variety of gear to help you dress for success while on your river trip. A prepared traveler is a happy traveler.
BIKE CLOTHING & GEAR SUPPLEMENT
- TUBE PATCH KIT
- HELMET required - no exceptions, ANSI or SNELL approved.
- BIKE SHORTS padded
- SPARE BIKE TUBE Tuffy/Kevelar thorn strips are nice
- BIKE GLOVES a necessity
- WATER BOTTLE (S) / HYDRATION SYSTEM
- GEL BIKE SEAT OR GEL SEAT COVER (optional)
Some items can be purchased from our store. HOLIDAY RIVER STORE or at BACKCOUNTRY.COM